Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Two Week Update



Yep, those are Jalapeno peppers. The first food I've grown in my life! It's amazing what a good combination of sunlight and rain can do for an amateur gardener. While the rain does nothing to calm the rushing waters of the Poudre or enhance the fishing thereupon, I can rest easy in the knowledge that the trout will still be there in a month or so when the brutal runoff eases up. In the meantime, I'm having some success in another outdoor venture.

My scarecrow is so intimidating, I'm almost afraid to step over the fence myself. The only wildlife I've seen venture in so far are a few fearless blackbirds. If you were a rabbit, would you feel welcome here?



Neither would I!

After planting and waiting for about a week for something green to burst through the soil, a few days of intense sun and more than a few days of rain and careful watering started yielding results. I started to see zuchinni and cucumbers make their way out of the ground. Two weeks in, I'm optimistic.



And who says a rookie can't make corn grow?





Tomatoes and peppers? No problem!





OK, OK. So America's farmers aren't in any danger of losing market share. But doggone it, I'm at least going to throw a decent dinner party!

No comments: