Friday, March 19, 2010

Old Faithful

Some things are pretty constant. 

It's March in Colorado, which pretty much guarantees that at some point you'll experience a 30 degree drop in temperature  from one day to the next.  I was singing a happy tune yesterday after catching my first really nice trout of 2010, being the beneficiary of a glorious 60+ day of sunshine. 

Something happened overnight as I was sleeping soundly, dreaming of rainbows rising to small dry flies.


Ouch! I was kind of hoping the days of freezing eyelets on my fly rod were over for the year. Still, trout fever has ahold of me. I never claimed to be sane.

Much like the predictable fluctuation in March weather here in Colorado, I'm finding that my flybox contains something equally consistent: The Adams dry fly. I will never, ever be without an Adams dry fly. When all other patterns fail, I can usually rely on an Adams to draw a rise, and today was no exception. The cold kept the fish from rising as frequently as yesterday, but after tying on the Adams I had four hits in a row, with the last one resulting in a hookup with a really nice fish that I subsequently lost.

The Adams is the "old faithful" of dry flies. Just to make certain my enthusiasm for the fly wasn't misplaced, I did a little research and found this great article, which is filled with information about the fly and gives an expert tutorial on how to tie one.

My only complaint with the fly today was that I had a hard time keeping track of it on the water due to the angle of the sun and its reflections off the riffle on the river. The high sitting wings, however, allowed me to sight it pretty regularly.

Stock your flybox with a few of these. They come through when the BWOs won't.

No comments: