Friday, August 20, 2010

Chillin' in Boiling Water (or Stoneflies Safe for now)

The heat is back on, and it didn't help the fishing today.

I got back on the water this afternoon with high hopes.  The Poudre looked great on arrival - low flows and fairly clear.  Lots of bugs flying around.  Hot, though, with bright sun and no cloud cover.  I got a little excited when I spotted this huge stone fly casing on a rock near the water.


Thinking back to the last time I pondered the validity of "signs," I decided that maybe this time it would work out.  With casings on the rocks, surely I'd be best suited by tying on a stone fly.  So, an elk-hair caddis took its place as the lead fly with a gold stone fly trailer.  Off into the water I stomped with a purpose.

I soon found, however, that the key variable in the whole equation - the fish - weren't about to cooperate today.  I don't take a terribly scientific approach to my fly fishing so I don't carry a thermometer, but I'd venture to guess that the water temperature was higher than normal.  I was quite comfortable wading in my shorts, and didn't feel even the slightest initial shock of cold that normally hits me for the first few seconds in.  For freshwater trout, I imagine the water felt like a hot tub today.  Save for an infrequent rise, I saw almost no evidence that fish were anywhere in the river.

After exhausting both the caddis and the gold stone, I tried everything else I could think of - BWO, double nymph rig, hoppers - with no results on anything.

Guess the trout were just chillin' in the warm water today.  It happens.  The stone flies are safe for today.

No comments: