Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A Little Fun

I thought something didn't feel quite right.  I'm surprised I didn't break out in hives.

I've been going through the motions for the past couple of weeks, and suddenly realized I hadn't actually been on the water for over a week.  Between increased hours at work, a weekend soccer tournament, and other distractions, I simply didn't get around to it.  Doc and I had a frustrating day on the Poudre just over a week ago on a stretch of water that is normally killer.  I notched one really nice brown out of the day, but otherwise it was small stockers. 

Snuck out today after work and it was more of the same.  The numbers were a little better, at least on a per hour basis.  Generally small fish, but I did land a couple of nice, fat little browns.

On an encouraging note, despite catching all of today's trout on variations of pheasant tail nymphs, I did notice - for the first time in a long time - some significant surface action, particularly as the sun started to go down.  Looking forward some good dry fly action in the near future.

In the meantime, the pheasant tails are still doing the trick, and I feel like I'm improving on the ties.  The top is simply a classic pheasant tail, and the bottom, and I added a bead head and a flashback to the other.

 

No comments: