Sunday, November 28, 2010

An Amateur Tier's Holiday Experiment

27 flies in 27 days.  

I know, I know...it's nothing monumental.  Nothing in my life is right now.  But since I have a lot of hooks and way too much time, I'm conducting an experiment.  The experiment contains a couple of interesting variables and will hopefully answer a few key questions:

1)  Can The Flywriter truly master a few go-to flies that have served him well on the Poudre?
2)  Can The Flywriter branch out in new directions and tackle some midges and streamers?
3)  Can The Flywriter not only tie one professional-looking Royal Humpy, but can he tie more than one in a reasonable amount of time?
4)  Can The Flywriter create reasonable replicas, or at least reasonable variations, of patterns developed by the masters?
5)  Will anybody even notice?

The answer to question #5 will be interesting and entertaining.  The answer will largely depend on the readership of this blog, which has been up and running for well over a year now.  So far, by my count, I have one very loyal follower, a few master fly fishermen and tiers who occasionally send a word of encouragement, and somebody in Russia who occasionally pops in for a view.

Why 27 days?  The experiment ends on Christmas Eve, when I will wrap up a few holiday boxes I'm putting together for folks who are special to me and are perfectly willing to fish with flies that fall well short of perfection.  Then again, the price falls well short of expensive! 

The experiment will be hilarious to many of you.  It's modeled very loosely on a concept conceived by someone with far more talent than me.  All I have to do is tie a different fly every day for less than a month.  This guy creates works of art every day of the year, and they're really cool.  In any event, I hope to develop my tying skills and maybe even impress a few people, but I'll settle for a few good-natured laughs from the wisemen in flyfishing blogdom.

The fun starts today!  Come along for the ride.

No comments: