So, here's how it went.
I left work at about 2:30 on Friday and drove directly to the Poudre to do some scouting for the weekend. We've had our first few days of real heat here in northern Colorado, and I arrived at the river to find a blown out, muddy flood of mocha-colored torrent. The river reports suggested flows of nearly 1900 cfs, and I'd believe every bit of it at this point.
I know I previously spouted some nonsense about "hell or high water," but it's just too high for my tastes, not to mention the low visibility and lack of clarity.
I did some more tying instead, and focused on some gardening. Pheasant tails, Stoneflies, and a new garden berm.
Temperatures are dropping into the low 70s for a high today, so I'm hoping it will slow some of the snow melt up the canyon and give the water a chance to drop a bit and clear up a little. If everything cooperates, I'll swing back down tomorrow and give the high water a shot. If not, I'll keep playing the waiting game with Arnie.